Friday, April 4, 2014

Show Some Love to Librarians

IMAGE: Digital Education
Show Some L♥ve today to a School Librarian! 

Please join us in recognizing this amazing, special group of people who are in danger of being forgotten and completely pushed aside. 

As schools struggle with both spending and budgeting, and give in to corporate and federal pressures to cut programming, we are losing our school libraries across the country.

What was once a gathering place of study and exploration for students is now slowly falling by the wayside. Our school librarians are facing layoffs as library hours are reduced or completely cancelled altogether.

My (8th grade) daughter was telling me how she misses her library time. She and I were talking about the joys of our weekly visits to our respective school libraries-looking through the bookshelves, looking for an interesting title or colorful illustrations.

As a little child, there was always story time, and as I got older there was research time. 
I remember that huge card catalog (40+ years ago). But most of all I remember the people in the library who were always there, willing to help me find what would satisfy my love for reading and further my knowledge. Nothing makes me happier, even today, when I can sit in the quiet of my office, living room or patio and be transported to another time, place or land, just by simply reading a book!

Corporate reformists may not see libraries as essential to the educational life of a child since they do not implement the Common Core nor have a direct impact on those all important test scores that can then be tracked by data. But we as parents and educators, know that libraries are an essential part of a nurturing school environment and in the lives of both students and teachers.

So send the school librarians some love here at the StoryBook Studio.


Or to the American Library Association on Facebook and ALA-APA National Library Workers Day

Tweet some love to American Association of School Librarians: @aasl



Feel free to Thank your school Librarian personally, below in the comments area.

Contact us: bg.bgini@gmail.com


Additional Reading:

Five Key Ways to Learn English By Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is welcome!