Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Mother Hina-A Hawaiian Tale

IMAGE: Origin Unknown

One of my most popular camp themes is Oceania-which includes Australia as well as the many islands surrounding it. There are many ocean-themed stories but one of my personal favorites is a legend that was originated by islanders in Hawaii. When I use this story I simplify it and adapt to my young audience and add an art activity so that all the kids can relate and participate.   







The Legend of Hina, the Polynesian Goddess of the Moon & Stars, serves as a fantastic basis for a day of educational games and related activities.

Here is the version of the story that we use:

Listen to "Mother Hina-Queen of the Moon and Stars" Here

To read more about this storybook, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Feedback is welcome!